Friday, January 04, 2008

People Actually Voted?...














One of the things I did not like about the Iowa Caucus was that it was in Iowa. Clearly not exactly representative of the melting pot of America. Also the amount of weight that it carries is kind of absurd when you think there there are so few people who actually live there. Regardless, it is what it is and there's nothing I can do about it. I do like the fact that candidates have to go out and prove themselves to those salt of the earth people who live there. It's actually a much better alternative to having them get glammed up and go to some super sweet 16 party for candidates.

But I was pleasantly surprised at the huge number of people that turned out last night. I mean when you have over 300,000 people turn out in a state that has less than 3,000,000 people then clearly the people are speaking. That's 10 percent of the entire population, not just the voting population. Generally I think there is something like less than 10 percent of registered voters turn out to the caucus so this number is pretty amazing. It turned out pretty well for me. Obama did better than anyone could have predicted and Edwards and Clinton are pretty much tied for 2nd. Biden and Dodd dropped out and I'm not sure exactly what happened to Richardson though he said if he didn't get his 15% to throw his support to Obama which may have helped Obama get the huge numbers he did.

It's a good sign. It was a really interesting night I think not just for politics but for American History. Obama winning that was not only inspirational but hopefully indicative of a positive change in the coming years. Hopefully this momentum carries over to NH and then to Super Tuesday but we'll see. There's still a long way to go and miles to go...His speech last night was awesome. I said it a long time ago but really, this is what I imagine it was like to be a supporter of Bobby Kennedy.

I'm out for now. Happy New Year. Bored today so I am gonna try and catch up on a lot of posting I meant to do. Go big.

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - if you live outside of michigan, please vote!!! since my vote doesn't matter I need to live vicariously though you people!!! please vote, it's very very important!!! Also, someone should ask Mike Huckabee this question...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As the West Wing said: the New Hampshire primary shouldn't come first because the state's as diverse as a Mayflower reunion.