Thursday, January 10, 2008

What Makes Me Tick...




















So aside from cutting down my chicken intake this year and getting into better shape, I also am going to try and be more open. I have been accused, and rightfully so, of being a very guarded person. I don't really share my feelings with people, mostly because people like to tell you what those feelings mean and there's nothing worse than someone telling you what you are thinking. But in an effort to be more open I am going to start letting people in on the little things in my life that make me unique, or at the very least make me who I am. It should be pretty easy. It's just basically a list of things I like and dislike and also things about me that you may not know.

The thing that got me thinking about this was my partial OCD. Though self-diagnosed, I am pretty sure I (along with many other people) have a slight case of OCD. In my case it presents itself in quirky forms that I think are necessary but others find pretty annoying. For example I have to arrange the dishwasher in an exact way every single time. Cups go in the upper left, mugs in the upper middle, bowls in the upper right, Plates go in the lower left facing right in order from largest to smallest. Pots go in the lower right and pans go on the lower right edge. Silverware is to be divided evenly between all six compartments. There cannot be more than one type of utensil in each compartment. For example if there are 6 spoons 5 knives and 4 forks, the different utensils would be divided evenly between the compartments with none containing more than one of each type of silverware.

That has become part of my routine and I don't mind doing it. It happens subconsciously as most of my habits do. I don't mind doing the dishes (which I scrub and wash completely before putting them in) but for some reason people get mad when I rearrange the dishes they claim to have done; but in my mind they aren't done right unless it's my way. Anyways, the reason I bring this up is that sometimes, like today, my mind blanks. I forget my routine and am left dumbfounded. I have a routine of how I dry off with my towel after the shower. I'll spare you the boring details but basically there is a set number of rubs per each section of my body and a specific order in which I do them. But today, as sometimes is the case, I forget what I am doing. So I end up standing there unable to dry myself because I don't know how. I try and remember my routine but my mind draws a blank and I sit there getting cold with no idea how to properly dry myself. It sucks. It is pretty much the worst actually. The only thing worse than not drying off after a shower is getting out of a warm toasty bed in the morning when it's freezing out.

Anyways, that's part of me in a nutshell. Crazy like a fox. As always, get your feet off the ground and reach for the stars. Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever. Go big or go home. Carpe diem. Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it. Life's short, live large.

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - To keep you updated on my fitness, I started at 174 towards the middle of last month, lost 8 lbs by christmas, gained 2 back over New Years (mostly Sparks and Tilt weight) and then lost 2 after I got back. Back at 166. My goal is 160. I think that should be pretty good. It's a fine line for me from being too skinny and being too fat but I think 160-162 is a good weight for me to hover around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're guarded. But then again maybe that's because I don't share my feelings with anyone unless sharing happens by ignoring them for years on end.

Swami Says said...

You're also an exception. Being my best friend for the past decade gives you a certain amount of gain into my psyche. Still though, you and I don't always tell each other everything even if it is something that we really want to or ought to (for example the JS incident in 11th grade you never told me about). And I think that's what I am trying to change. Not so much telling people things, but wanting to and feeling comfortable telling people things.