Monday, January 07, 2008

Best of 2007: Movies...




















So at first I thought this was going to be a pretty easy list to do. I usually do a top 5 and that's that but when i went back to go over all the movies that came out last year I realized that I had gone and seen close to 40 movies in theaters. That's kind of a lot. Then I realized that I would have to do a top ten otherwise people would think I suck based on my top 5. I also realized that there was a multitude of bad movies that came out as well, so I am adding a worst of 07 as well. Keep in mind that these are only based on movies that I've seen. For example, I did not get a chance to see The Hoax, or Darfur Now or Lars and the Real Girl etc. So perhaps this isn't the most accurate list but it's pretty close anyways. It was actually really tough to get it down to just 10 so the couple extremely close calls were, I Am Legend, 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, Transformers and Hot Fuzz.

10 - The Last Mimzy
9 - Factory Girl
8 - 300
7 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6 - TMNT

5 - Superbad. Definitely worth the wait for Seth and Evan as their 7 year old script finally made it to the big screen. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are two of my favorite actors (as far as comedies go) and this movie did not disappoint. If you haven't seen it, you really need to. Not quite as good of a movie as Knocked Up but definitely hilarious.

4 - Juno. Another little indie movie that's getting amazing reviews, though not quite as popular as last year's Little Miss Sunshine. Michael Cera lands another movie in my top 5 along with the kick ass Ellen Page. Jennifer Garner is actually pretty good in this movie and Jason Bateman (even when reunited with fellow Arrested Development alum Cera) actually plays a semi-serious role.




















3 - Talk to Me. Don Cheadle and Chiwetel Ejiofor were perfect in this movie based on the true story of famed radio dj, Petey Greene. It was probably the best acted movie of the year but for some reason didn't generate a lot of buzz. Cheadle once again blows me away. He's climbing the charts of best actors out there (please excuse his role in the Ocean's series).

2 - Knocked Up. As if The 40 Year Old Virgin wasn't good enough, Judd Apatow killed me again with what might be the best young adult comedy since the original American Pie. I'm sure you've all seen it and know all about it. But Apatow is now officially kicking ass. He has never put out anything that I haven't been in love with since I first fell in love with him back in 1999 with Freaks and Geeks. Seth Rogen also makes his 2nd appearance on my top 5. I am sure next year will be similar what with his movies, Pineapple Express and Drillbit Taylor coming out. He wrote both of them and stars in the former along with another Freaks and Geeks alum James Franco, while my boy Owen Wilson takes the helm of the latter. There is no one that I would rather work with than this group of guys.




















1 - Live Free or Die Hard. How could this not be the best movie of the year. I saw it 3 times in the theater. Mostly because it is the first movie to actually live up to the hype of being called an action movie in a long time. It was hands down the best american action movie made this century (not counting action/adventure movies which is a different category). Bruce Willis might be one of the biggest bad asses of all time. Granted I also loved it because my boy Justin Long was in it. I feel like we're friends now ever since I ate dinner at the table next to him in Soho a few months ago. But I have been a fan of his since 2000 when he was on Ed and I'm glad to see he's doing awesome things with his career.

So there it is. The best movies of 2007. The following are the worst with number 1 being the absolute worst. Some close calls were Hitman, and Rush Hour 3.
5 - Blades of Glory - snooze fest with only one funny line the whole movie
4 - Dragon Wars - what dragons? it was about a huge evil snake. the only dragon was in the last 3 minutes.
3 - Ocean's 13 - WTF? Boring. The worst part is that no one besides Damon even tried to act. Craptacular.
2 - War - Seriously? Jason Statham and Jet Li and that's the best you can do? It should have killed.

And the worst movie of the year is....

1 - The Bourne Ultimatum - The second was good but this third one sucked balls. I can't believe they call it an action movie. It was by far the worst action movie I have ever seen in my life including those heinous Van Damme movies of the mid 90's. I'd rather watch Steven Segal do 'karate'. It's the exact same as the first two only if you took out all the cool scenes and aspects and put in a bunch of shit. I'd say it's a polished turd but that's an insult to feces.

Anyways, that's it for the moment. Best music to come soon. I'm out. Go big....

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - just saw National Treasure II last night. I love those movies. I was thinking it was a fun enjoyable popcorn flick until they set it up for a third installment. It wasn't even a question either, it was like "hey, are you ready to begin making the next sequel?" and Nick Cage was like, "Yeah. I can't wait." And then that 'funny' kid feigned sarcasm, "Oh joy. I can't wait." Even though he obviously truly can't wait since it's his only source of income. My point is that I'm jealous I can't direct it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw the movie "Once" over the holidays. Adorable foreign romantic flick filled with music. Check it out.