Friday, December 28, 2007

Slowing Down...
















So further evidence that I'm getting older is the fact that everything is just that much harder on my body. About a month ago or so I noticed I was starting to pack on the pounds and while I wasn't close to hitting my fat peak when I was 182 lbs, I was at a slightly unsettling 174. I decided I needed to lose some weight immediately and figured 10 pounds this month would be enough. When I was at 182 I was 22 years old and it took me 3 weeks of running a mile every other day to lose 15 lbs. This was only about 3 years ago so I thought it should take about as long to lose 10 lbs. It hasn't. I've only lost 8 lbs and to do that I've not only been running more than a mile just about everyday, but also I changed my diet. I have 2 days left before I leave for DC for new years and hopefully I can lose those pounds.

It's strange to start thinking about my health when it seems like just yesterday when I was in high school eating 3 bags of chips, cookies and a coke for lunch. But I'm getting older and if I don't start doing it now it will only get harder the older I get. Now I have to cut back on carbs, I try and not put salt into anything I cook, I have only been drunk once in the last 2 months and I cut out fast food which turned out to be the hardest thing. I have never really been one to eat a lot of fast food, it's not that great and it extremely bad for you. But as I had pretty much been living in my car and on the road and city to city from August to November I had grown accustomed to getting a regular fix of chicken nuggets and spicy chicken sandwiches. It's been a while since I've had any fast food and while I feel great I find myself craving the aforementioned golden nuggets of pure deliciousness more often that not.













Also as a reminder of my age, I was knocked over playing basketball 2 days ago and my back and ass were sore the entire day yesterday. I had to take 2 Tylenol to not wince every time I moved. It was ridiculous. I have never been so sore from one seemingly innocuous fall. I remember recently feeling the same after a trip to Florida when I got pounded by some waves and I vowed to regain my body of my youth by falling a lot and building up tolerance for it but that's a pretty lame idea. Falling sucks and I don't really want to do it anymore.

Anyways, I'm going to try and get out the few blogs I have been to lazy to write before I take off to DC on Sunday so look for many blogs over the next few days. Go big and stuff..

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - Last year one of my 'resolutions' was to cut out all meat but chicken and seafood. I have done that pretty well. I had a few slip ups when I ate things that I was unaware that had pork in them and also amended the resolution for include turkey. But other than maybe 5 meals I stuck to my convictions and it's pretty awesome. Chicken, even though it's the greatest thing on the planet, is also not that great for you. So for this year I plan on slowly phasing it out. Eating more seafood and less chicken. I am going to try and cut back from eating it pretty much 7 days a week (usually twice a day) to no more than 7 meals a week. It sounds like it's still a lot but if you think about it there's 21 meals a week and I'm only having chicken in 33 percent of those meals. Hopefully I will have about 10 that include various types of seafood and turkey and then at least 4 or 5 that are vegetarian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fast food is disgusting. Do not eat it. I know you can cut it out entirely. If you have to eat fast, eat Subway. That's the only fast food I will allow you to eat as a registered nurse.
Good for you for getting into shape. Wish I could say the same. I got winded running up a flight of stairs yesterday.

Anonymous said...

If you want to lose weight without worrying about diet, I suggest you take up squash or racquetball. The only sport I can think of in which I have gotten a better workout than squash is ultimate frisbee. When I go on squash hiatus I blow up like a balloon. Squash keeps me clean and clear and under control, so I can still eat buffalo wings three nights a week and not look like a circa-2003 Mike Huckabee wannabe.

Or maybe my metabolism is just better than yours. And yes, it is a competition.

Anonymous said...

Don't shoot the messenger:

Anonymous said...

the fuck are you talking about, "i've never been one for fast food"? you used to eat burger king on mondays, taco bell on tuesdays, pizza hut on wednesdays, and rice kitchen whenever we went out to the bar.

i'm not one to talk, though--i jumped on the scale yesterday and discovered that i'm clocking in at a whopping 190! i think my new year's resolution is to break 200.