Monday, March 01, 2010

Monday Two Three...

One
Almost in spite of yesterday's blog, the Olympics ended on a high note. Despite the loss, that hockey game was incredibly exciting and really fun to watch. While watching the game, I kept thinking about an article I read that the winter Olympics were really the greatest showcase and advertisement to the US for the NHL and how true it was. I am fortunate enough to be a Red Wings fan and while I enjoy watching them play, I can't say that I would ever want to watch a game where they aren't playing (much like the Tigers) however, after watching these Olympics it's very clear that hockey is a sport that is just exciting. No matter who is playing, it's exciting and fun to watch. It also helps that Ryan Miller grew up in Lansing and went to State. The only complaint I have is why did it have to be Crosby? The only player I dislike on either team and it's him who's the hero. As if the Penguins beating us wasn't bad enough?

Two
It's March. This year is flying by. It really feels like it was just New Years. One thing is clear to me, I'm ready for warm weather. I woke up hoping that today would be nice out but instead it's cold and cloudy. Another day in the Midwest. I feel like the older I get, the shorter my tolerance for bogus weather. I'm not bailing on the Midwest anytime soon, but folks out in LA really don't have a clue. I love all the seasons and I'm a huge fan of snow and Winter, but can't it be like a month shorter? Can't I live in a place that has a full three seasons like Michigan and a shortened Winter? All I know is that I need some sun soon or I'm going to start showing signs of S.A.D.

Three
Lighter Than, posted this article on fb about the Tea Party movement and I want to take a second to talk about it. Read it first because it's a solid article and outlines a potentially scary movement. First of all, I can see that my readership is growing and while it used to be mostly frequented by people who share my political ideologies, I assume that with that growth it has shifted a bit to also have readers who align themseleves with the GOP. Fear not you crazy Republicans because when it comes to the Tea Partiers, we're in the same boat. Last month when Sarah Palin was speaking at the Tea Party Conference (and famously read cheat words off her hand) I didn't think anything of it but after reading this article I found myself wondering what would happen if this movement gained massive momentum. Then I realized that was crazy for one simple reason, people don't want to 'waste' their votes. I'm a good example of this. While I am a registered Democrat and and align myself with the party, I find myself leaning closer to the doctrines of the Green Party on many issues. But I'm not enthusiastic about Nader and I'm pretty sure most of their ideas are not only more complex than tackling Health Care Reform but also harder to pass into law. So I vote for Democrats, though last year I did vote for each office individually and voted for several Green Partiers in the Michigan State elections. I think the same is true for the Tea Party, it's a group of angry citizens who hate government (and for some reason they don't find it hypocrytical or oxymoronical to vote someone into a government office who hates government) and will vote for the closest thing to their beliefs without 'wasting' their vote (I put wasting in quotations because I don't actually think it's a waste, I'm just using an expression).

Go big

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: