Sunday, February 28, 2010

Olympics...

So the Olympics are almost over...finally. I don't know why it sounds so unpatriotic to say this, but the Olypmics really annoy me. The opening ceremonies are cool for about 30 minutes, snowboarding is awesome, luge is terrifying but exciting, hockey rules and I can watch various skiing events for 15 minutes or so before getting bored, but basically the winter games should last a weekend. I get it, it's cool and it only happens every 4 years and countries from around the world get to participate and it's historic and blah blah blah. Boring. Figure skating or ice dancing or whatever it's called had about ten minutes of excitement and that was when Kim Yu Na pretty much had 'the greatest olympic performance [random chick announcer] had ever seen!' You know what, it was cool. And while I could tell that she was the best on the ice by far, whoever came in 2nd didn't seem to be all that much better than whoever came in last. A friend said something to the effect of, "what kind of sport hands out kleenex after you're done and not a towel?" Exactly. Call me crazy, or unpatriotic, but I would rather be watching Parks and Rec or Community or 30 Rock instead of 4 hours of ice dancing.

That said, I am excited for the hockey game today. I love that it's US vs Canada. I hope we win, but at the same time, it's always nice when the host country can win an important gold medal. It would be like the US winning the gold in basketball if it were hosted here in Chicago or some other big city. Is soccer a summer olympic sport? If not, it should be and if it is, how do I not know about it?

Anyway, as this fortnight winds down, I'm glad that Korean girl won (anybody else think her life was in danger if she didn't?) and I'm glad Shaun White won (he's a beast) and I'm glad that other kid put his medal by his crotch and had some girl kiss it at a bar - that's hilarious. Anyone who thinks that kid is an ass, I'd like to remind you that he's like 20 and a dude and drunk and has a lot of attention on him for possibly the first time ever. That cracked me up.

Go big or go home

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: