Friday, April 24, 2009

Turtle Power...

Yesterday marked the 25th anniversary of the original comics for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the city pulled no stops in celebrating. It's days like this that I'm glad I read the movie news every morning. I awoke to the news that there was going to be a new live action film to be released sometime in 2011 and read on to find out that they waited until the anniversary to announce it. That was good news in and of itself, but then the article went on to mention that if you were lucky enough to live in the Manhattan area, that there would be a celebration of sorts downtown.















The Empire State Building was lit up in 'shell-tastic green' to mark the occasion and there was a free screening of the original movie downtown opening Tribeca's outdoor 'drive-in' movie series. Just east of ground zero, right next to the Hudson river, was a courtyard filled with TMNT power. There was a van made to replicate the one driven in the cartoon along with face panting, free popcorn and a lot of random karate moves on stage before the movie. It was pretty much the coolest thing I've ever done in the city. Luckily I had a friend there who was very much in the spirit of things and even made us eye-headband-mask things (you know what I mean) so I didn't feel like a huge dork.
















I actually had a great time. I don't often tout this city as a place that exceeds (or even meets) my expectations of what I'm looking for in a place to live, but last night showed me one of the great things that really would only happen in ny. I think my favorite part of the night was either when everyone cheered during one of Casey Jones' awesome lines, or the 6 year old kid in front of us who would stand up and fight the air during all the fight scenes. He kicked the air's ass.

That's all for now. As always, go big or go home.

-M, p, z & shredder

1 comment:

Nate said...

I have always liked "Cowabunga."