Thursday, April 09, 2009

Amen Corner...On My Phone...

For you golf fans out there, today is the start of the best weekend of the year: The Masters. The greatest golf tournament on the face of the planet (aside from my annual weekend up north with my boys). 4 days of glorious golf on probably the most beautiful and inspiring course in the country (plus they don't allow women to be members so there's another incredible bonus). I have been playing and following golf for 13 years now. It's kind of insane that I'll entering my 14th season of golf because when I was younger there is really nothing more boring than even thinking about golf let alone watching it for 6 hours a day on tv.

So anyways, one thing that sucks about it is that coverage doesn't start til later afternoon, and even then sometimes you're busy either in class or at work or running errands or what have you. But this year, technology has done it again. Since I am neither gainfully employed nor in class these days, the worst that could happen is I have to make a run to the grocery store. But have no fear, if I leave my apartment I can now watch live coverage of the Masters on my iPhone. If you love golf so much that you don't want to miss a second of coverage, yeah, there's an app for that. Amen Corner, the roller coaster 3 holes at Augusta, are broadcast without interruption on my phone.

As much as I love this app and now can't live without it, I wonder - do we really need to continue developing new technology? Isn't this enough now? I was fine before all of this. I was fine when I was 8 and still listened to casette tapes. I was fine in high school when 'mobile phone' meant that huge box in my car that we called the moible command unit because it looked more like something you would put on your back in Vietnam to call for an air strike. With each new thing that comes out I find myself wondering how I lived my life without it, and I realized the only inventions to come along in my lifetime that truly benefit my life are CDs, digital cameras, and email. And of these the only one I could not live without are CDs. Remember in high school when you had to call people on the phone and you couldn't use facebook or email or text them? Remember having to call someone of the opposite sex? That was scary. Now everything is so simple. Life was probably better for all this stuff. It reminds me of this Louis CK bit:



Anyways, I've got to get back to watching live tv on my cell phone that also lets me play games, send emails, take pictures, listen to music, find restaurants, make sure my shelves are level, give me directions, show me a satellite picture of where I'm standing, read the paper, tell me when the next A train is coming, show me weather radar and webcam with my cousin in India. It also makes long distance telephone calls...

I'm out. Go big.

-M, p, z & shredder

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello
generic accutane
It was first used as chemotherapy medication for treating brain cancer and pancreatic cancer.
[url=http://www.faceuptoit-youcan.com/]accutane without prescription[/url]
Last February 2002, Roche patent expired and now many other manufacturing company selling cheaper generic versions of this drug however they will continue to sell outside America with the brand name of Roaccutane.
http://www.faceuptoit-youcan.com/ - accutane without prescription
The approach of this drug is systemic and it is not selective.