Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Predictions...

I love the Oscars.




















I know they are gratuitous. I get that it's strange that we celebrate a bunch of rich people sitting around because they acted in a movie while we don't even thank the people who make our ever day lives easier (garbage men, postal carriers, the guy who invented the internet, thomas edison etc.) But for some reason that doesn't matter. I know they don't really award the best movie or actor and usually end up giving awards to people who deserved it at some point in their career (Scorcese, Denzel etc.) but I can't help but love them. Not just because I love movies and seeing celebs but because I love the moments when they get it right. I love seeing Cuba Gooding Jr. do a backflip on stage. I love seeing "Crash" beat "Brokeback Mountain." I love it when original screenplays actually get recognized. I like seeing Jack Nicholson at random times throughout the night.

I love the red carpet. I'm not embarrassed to admit it. Obviously. I have had numerous best dressed blogs. But I like seeing hot chicks in million dollar gowns and my man crushes (Ryan Gosling, JT, Ryan Reynolds) all dolled up.

Anyways, I love them so much that I decided to do some predictions for tonight. Best actor will clearly be Daniel Day Lewis. In all honesty, any year he makes a movie (which are few and far between) he will win the oscar. He's that good. I don't get how you connect that much to a character but that's why I'm not an actor. He commits to roles like you wouldn't believe. Best Actress will hopefully be Ellen Page. I didn't see the other movies but I feel like her character was, though not original, pretty refreshing from the other nominees. Best Movie will probably be Atonement. I actually didn't really like There Will Be Blood. I thought the acting was amazing, but the movie itself lacked. I still haven't seen No Country and it wouldn't surprise me if that won. Best Supporting Actor should be Casey Affleck. He is amazing. BS Actress should be Cate Blanchette. Best Director will go to the Coen Brothers I hope. Anyway those are the biggies.

Best dressed people are going to be Eva Longoria, Isla Fisher, Katherine Heigl (though I'm not sure if she'll be there) and probably a couple sleepers as well.

Anyways, go big and stuff.

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - I really hope that someone makes a really good speech tonight. Those are always pretty moving.

No comments: