Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Body is Broken...
















So yesterday I finally got to go snowboarding. For the first time. Today I feel like King Theodin in Lord of the Rings when he said, "My body is broken..." Indeed good sir. Indeed. Aside from my knees being tore up, my hamstrings beaten, my sore neck, aching back and throbbing tailbone, I feel great. I love soreness from doing something new. For some reason I always thought that I would be awesome at snowboarding my first time. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's because I was never afraid of it. Unlike when I used to be a skater, I was always afraid of having a tough fall in the concrete and breaking my face. Or when I surfed I was afraid of not just the ocean but everything that was inside of it.

Snowboarding, on the other hand, is on snow. And while it still hurts to fall on tightly packed snow that is very firm, it isn't painful enough to deter me from continuing. I fell. A lot. And rolled and skidded and tumbled and injured my way through a couple hours of exhilaration. After a few times down the intermediate hill (we actually thought it was the beginner hill beginner is for douchebags) we figured we were ready for a new challenge and the big jump or the snaking half-pipe seemed to be the obvious choices.















Mistakes were made and while I was able to do small jumps and such on the intermediate hill, jumping off of what is basically a ramp is a bad idea when you don't know what you're doing. Anyways what happened was pretty funny to watch. I had 3 perfect curves down the hill and hit the jump with so much speed that I flew in the air and landed square on my head, ass and back and skidded down the entire landing. Then since my hat fell off my head when I landed I had to unstrap my board and walk back up the hill to get my hat. And that was pretty much my best run. My last run was pretty good actually, I only fell once and then almost finished a jump toward the end of the half pipe and landed it for about half a second before I fell on my tailbone. All in all I am in a lot of pain today but definitely going back again soon.

Anyways, the reason we went for the big jump when we could barely get down a normal hill is because my motto haunts me: go big or go home. I got it from a snowboarding movie so it was only fitting I try. Also I'm convinced the hardest part to snowboarding is holding on to the damn towrope. My forearms are dead.

go big

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - here's a little video of me when I first got there. It was my 2nd time down the hill. I strapped the camera cord onto my zipper hole and let it hang so it's a little crooked but very very funny. You actually can't see a whole lot, it's more funny because you can't see what's happening and only hear my screams...

3 comments:

njb said...

FYI, I'm pretty sure the character's name is King Theoden.

Swami Says said...

I'll King Theoden you...

Anonymous said...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2384/2249250358_c9e25e49de_d.jpg