Monday, November 02, 2009

One Two Three...

It's November? I know people say this every year, but this one is really flying by. The older I get, the faster the years go. Just a few things to share with you on this blustery (or as Mark twain would say - 'the wind is blustering') fall day.

One

I moved to Chicago. That happened fast. Not really. I actually decided I was going to do this back in May. Then August rolled around, followed by September and it wasn't until October came that the ball got rolling and now - 5 months later, I'm a resident of Illinois (although I will never relinquish my Michigan resident status). So far I've spent 2 days there. I moved in Friday, then spent Saturday at Target followed by putting together a bookshelf and putting things away. That was also Halloween which was spent learning a new drinking game called 'fingers' and then proceeding to black out and in the process ditching my Clone Trooper Star Wars costume at a bar and spending the rest of the night in my running shorts and a t-shirt, though I have no idea why. I had to come back to Michigan to give my dad his car back in roughly the same condition he lent it to me. Now I head back and I won't leave the city again for 1 whole day. Then down to SC for a long overdue golf tourney/vacation and then back to the grind next Monday. One of these days I'll be able to settle in...

Two

While getting a haircut the other day, I found myself having a conversation with the lady cutting my hair (I"d call her a stylist but really, at $9.99 she's pretty much a baber). I generally don't like to talk to people while I'm getting my haircut but I had just driven in from new york and hadn't talked to anyone all day so I didn't mind. Anyway after chatting for a bit she mentioned something about the weather in new york. I told her it was generally pretty warm and that the winter's didn't snow very much or get very cold in the city. Then she said, "Oh well maybe that's because of all the emissions from the cabs." I smiled and nodded thinking it probably had more to do with the location of the city, the insulation from the buildings and the fact that they don't get lake effect snow like we do in Michigan but before I could say anything she added, "if you believe in that stuff. I personally think it's silly and not true and they're just trying to scare people." I had no response. I have only come across one other person who 'didn't believe in global warming' but that was Lemon's old roommate's boyfriend and he was an idiot so I just wanted to punch him in the face. But this was a normal person who I didn't know tell me that she doesn't think global warming is a thing. What do you say to someone who thinks that? How do you approach their idiocy without sounding like an ass? I couldn't think of a way and after hearing that didn't say another word until it was time to pay. There's probably a lot of people like her out there and that's a scary thought.

Three


Paranormal Activity. I'm sure many of you have heard the hype. Maybe some of you have even seen it. Personally I don't like horror movies, not because they scare me but because they bore me. Much the same way someone would be bored by chick flicks. They are formulaic and unoriginal and for the most part pretty silly. I can't get scared when I'm sitting there not caring about characters because they can't act, waiting for something to happen that I already know is going to happen. Loud noise. Laughing. Scream. Bad guy. Loud noise. Dead. I get it. The scariest movie of all time is the original Halloween. Jamie Lee Curtis in 1976 was probably the best victim in any horror movie ever. Also there's a scene in The Descent where this chick gets stuck in a crevice in a cave and can't move - it's a claustrophobic's worst nightmare. So I went to see this with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. This worked pretty well I think and despite me kind of hating the guy in it, it had two moments that were genuinely scary. I laughed when Lemon grabbed my arm, but on the reals, sh*t was scary in that scene.

That's all. More soon. Go big.

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: