Monday, November 09, 2009

Monday Two Three...

This format is very easy, so I'm sorry I keep using it instead of the usual digressions and tangents. Also, for the uber bored at work, if you had noticed my frequent blogging, I'm also sorry I took a week off. Without further ado...

One

Greatest weekend of the year. As usual, my annual golf trip with Other Guy and my brothers from another mothers (usually up north Michigan) was amazing. This year we headed down to Myrtle Beach to experience some southern hospitality and 70 degree weather and chapped lips. I've gotta say, I finally understand people who want to live in warm weather year round. Personally I still love seasons and I still love the midwest, but I can't hate on the warmth or the sun. I've always said that I love all seasons equally but now I think I'm ready to put that silly idealism aside and say that summer is, by far, my favorite season. Everything I love in life is infinitely better in the summer. Don't get carried away though - the only reason I love it so much and appreciate it is because of slow falls, harsh winters and gradual springs. Without these summer would be just another day in LA. So my new resolve is to leave as much as possible and as much as my wallet will allow. A quick trip to LA or a weekend down in Florida is just what I think I need every month or so (or as often as Spirit offers $9 fares) to break up the monotony and get some color in my cheeks.

Two

Many of you know that Weezer is one of my favorite bands of all time. They fluctuate between 1 and 2 so it's safe to say they're tied for number 1 in my heart. Their new album, Raditude, has left me wondering. I like it. I like many songs a lot and some not so much. Years ago after Maladroit came out, I used to yearn for Weezer of old. Well years and years rolled by with no sign of quality lyrics coming from frontman Rivers Cuomo. There were gems that transported me back to 1995 like 'Perfect Situation' off of Make Believe, but I realized that the Weezer that exists now will never be the Weezer I wish they were. I still love them and they're still tied for number 1, but they don't evoke the same sentiment in me that they used to. This album is another in a progression of Weezer albums filled with some radio hits, some ridiculous lyrics and some boring melodies. When I originally heard that they were remaking an old Rivers song, "Can't Stop Partying," I was excited to see what it would sound like. Then I found out that Lil' Wayne was going to be on it. You read that right - Lil' Wayne. While I'm a huge fan of Mrs. Officer and his recent episode of Behind the Music, I'm not a huge fan of his music. It was almost heart breaking that the first artist featured on any Weezer record was such a momentary pop star and not someone that inspired them or someone inspired by them a la Ozma or The Rentals. Whatever. It's a solid album but to be honest, on at least two of the songs, I said to myself, "this sounds like a bad cover of a good All American Rejects song."

Three


It's Comcastic. I don't know if it makes me a nerd or not, but internet is much more important to me than cable tv. I just had comcast come out to install internet (my appointment was between 10-1 and they came at 12:45) and I couldn't be happier. I only watch a few shows and even those I watch on hulu. Now that I have other quality sites I can go to to watch the Pistons and the Lions, I really have no reason to get cable. I mean, I'm gonna try and bootleg it, but it's not worth whatever money they would try and charge me. It's sad that it costs so much though - I'm gonna pay $35 for internet when they are charging other people I know 19. Granted they got digital cable packages but I can't afford that and it irks me that they don't have a discount for people with no furniture who sleep on air mattresses.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'm out. Go big.

-M, p, z & shredder

1 comment:

Jordan Miller said...

I love Lil Wayne. Seriously, I really do.