Friday, February 06, 2009

Still Hunting...

This economy is killing me. I mean seriously, occupying my life. I'm not sure how many of you are recent grads or in transition in your life, but if you have a job, don't quit anytime soon. Last month was the worst since December '74 in terms of layoffs and unemployment. I can't believe that Congress is arguing over stipulations and partisan voting at a time like this. I honestly don't care. People need to get jobs and they needed them yesterday. I have been trying to get anything more than occasional work since I moved out here in August. Every month since then has however, has gotten worse. More people being laid off and the unemployment is still rising. It's predicted to continue throughout the year. The year? People can't possibly afford to live at this rate.

I have no idea how the country isn't in full on crisis mode. Sure, there is a general state of panic, anxiety, fear and hopelessness; but this is crisis time. Not only is it not getting better, but it's getting worse. Hopefully President Obama can get his stimulus package through and it really has an effect on things, but we all know that stimulus packages don't work and the second people get money, it will go to paying for bills, food, kids, etc. and who can blame them. The government needs to start spending a lot of money and they need to do it now. 3.2 million jobs lost last year? That's insane. All of those people, plus a the previously unemployed plus a new year of work-ready college and high school graduates are all trying to get any job they can, and as a result no one can get anything. I have literally tried applied everywhere - retail, manual labor, stock boy, you name it I tried it. Even internships won't hire me. It's kind of f*cked up out there right now, so if you're in school, stay there.

Anyways, go big or go home. Stay in school.

-M, p, z & shredder

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I did five months on freelance income and it was incredibly tough. Now that I'm employed, buying Barilla instead of store-brand pasta feels like splurging on a yacht.

There's a proposal out there to forgive student loan debt as a way to stimulate the economy. If we could get that passed AND a puppy for every American, I'd never be sad again, ever.

Sylvia