Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Eating The Cake...

As I think back to my time in LA, I have no doubt that I would be doing what I want to career wise right now. Trying to land a salary job in the film industry isn't easy but I had gotten lucky. I wonder sometimes what would have happened had I stayed. I had already worked a couple of things and was set to work a couple more when I decided to leave LA. Then on the day I was literally driving out of the state, some guy from HBO called me to work as a PA on a new show called the Life and Times of Tim. I told him I was moving but thanks very much for the offer. That show recently got picked up for a second season and while I know leaving LA was the right decision because I couldn't stand the city, I wish I hadn't used up all my luck out there.

I have been back here in NYC for almost 6 months now and have yet to set foot back on any set. I have even applied to be a free intern in a production office. Some of it is the economy, some of it is the competition and some of it is the fact that there just aren't as many jobs for film out here as there are in LA.

There is news that Michigan is going to get three new huge hollywood backed studios. They each have different specialties and they will be hiring a lot of new people. I have already submitted my resume (twice) and tried to get ahold of someone in charge a few times but the secretary is not easily fooled by my Jedi-mind-tricks. But if I were to get a job there, it would be having my cake and eating it too, which is really what we all want. I suppose the cake would be a job in film and eating it would be living in Michigan. I had my cake in LA, but really if you can't eat it, what's the point? If someone here in NYC offers me cake, I'll pour myself some milk and choke it down, but nothing would taste as sweet as getting an offer in Michigan.

So I'm hoping something works out soon or I'll most likely be looking for a new cake and possibly a new place to eat it too. Go big...

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: