Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Down on the Corner...

So the neighborhood I live in is awesome. Hardly anyone speaks english, everyone knows each other and I can get empanadas on pretty much every block. The cons are that it might be considered unsafe in some circles and it's hard to get quality produce. Every day and night there are a group of people that sort of lock down a few corners on my street. And by lock down I mean they stand there all day long come rain, snow, sleet, hail or 100 degree weather. They're crazy. It's not that uncommon. Everyone here stays outside all day long. Kids, teens, adults, it doesn't really matter. There's nothing to do in the neighborhood but stand outside all day. I've always wondered what these guys did. At first I assumed drugs but then thought they just enjoyed standing on the corner talking.

I walk by them every night and occasionally they are spread out. They stand dispersed down the block looking at each other and on occasion I am almost 100% sure I'm gonna get jumped. Sometimes it sounds like they are talking to each other over their nextels (I didn't know people still used those). The other day it all kind of came together. I was walking down the street toward the grocery store around 930 at night when they were lined up down the street in their usual formation. I usually look at the ground to avoid eye contact and while I was walking I noticed something out of the corner of my eye and looked halfway up. Standing between two cars was a guy selling a small white bag to some other dude, both of whom looked at me and caught my eye as I was walking by. For a split second I thought they were gonna jump/kill/stab me but I decided I was just gonna keep singing along to my ipod and hope for the best. It worked. I'm still alive.

I guess they spread out down the street so they can get the best coverage. All the roads around me are one way streets and as cars pull up they can pretty much sell in all four directions. the people in the middle of the street just standing there looking around are obviously lookouts and the people on the corner I can only assume are just in case something goes wrong. I've never really felt unsafe and actually feel safer now knowing that they don't want to jump me, they just want to make a living. The funny thing is that one of the reasons I decided to move to where I live is because it's less than a block from the nearest police station.

Anyways, if anyone needs some drugs, let me know and I'll put in a good word I guess. As always, go big or go home...

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps -
tell em what to watch: Pistons @ Portland. Can the Pistons keep the streak alive and win 8 in a row? With Brandon Roy out we have a pretty good shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should walk up to them one day and say, "Hello, I would like to purchase some illegal drugs. I am not wearing a wire." It wouldn't be suspicious.