Monday, January 11, 2010

Best of 2009: Records...

The problem with doing a best albums list is that you skip over the gems that you find along the way. Plenty of albums are mediocre, but on a lot of those there is a 'perfect' song. This list is dedicated to those songs that when you hear the first time you think, "holy sh*t, this song is really good," or just that ones that make you wanna dance or sing along with in the car/shower/bar or wherever you like to sing. So here are my 10 favorite songs of this last year - some of them were on albums in my top ten but most of them are not. Some of these you may hate by now because you've heard them way too much or you never liked them in the first place. Some of these you may have never heard. This a list of my favorite songs of the year and I love them. Anyways, here they are...

10.) Sexual Healing by Hot Chip
Awesome cover of an already legendary song. It's hard to make a song this well known your own but give this a listen if you haven't heard it and see why it made the list. "I'll never be laid back as this beat was."

9.) Your Love is Like a Drug or Tik Tok by Ke$ha

I apologize for putting two in the same slot but this girl is killing me. I don't know why I love her and up until three days ago I didn't even know she was white. But damn if I don't love these songs. I swear when I sing them I feel like a 13 year old girl.

8.) Big Green Tractor by Jason Aldean

This was easily my favorite country song this year. Usually I'm all about the drinking singing along country songs that are a little more upbeat, but this one got me.

7.) Young Hearts Spark Fire by Japandroids














The best song on a great album - after hearing this, I immediately bought the whole album. This was in the running for my top ten albums and just barely missed out.

6.) Exhibit C by Jay Electronica

It seems that this is the only hip-hop song on my list for the year which is strange but I guess I didn't listen to a whole lot this year. After Mos Def's new one which I thought was pretty bland, I didn't think I'd hear anything good this year until this.

5.) Bad Romance by Lady Gaga
The first time I heard this song I wanted to kill myself. Then I heard the chorus and was indifferent. Then I started to like it. Now I love it and after a brief but persuasive conversation with Other Guy's gf (heretofore known as Other Girl) I concur that she is the most unique female pop star to come around since Madonna (back when Madonna was Madonna).

4.) I'm Yours by Jason Mraz

You all know and love this song. If you don't, you did at one point and then you fell in love with it again when you saw that Asian kid on youtube rock it out.

3.) I Love College by Asher Roth

I do love college. And I love it for all the reasons that are stated in this song. Who doesn't like reminiscing about college to a sampled beat from my favorite Weezer song (Say It Ain't So)? The only thing better than hearing this song on my ipod is hearing it at a tailgate when I'm back at MSU.

2.) The Kids Don't Stand a Chance (Remix) by Chromeo

Take an already awesome song and add a really fun beat and mix it. Chromeo hit the nail on the head with this one. I'd like to thank Leadright for filling my life with this wonderful goodness.

1.) I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked by Ida Maria



















My favorite song off her album which is in my top 10. She's awesome. The song is pretty much perfect. It sounds like a summer day, windows down kind of song and Spring can't get her soon enough to see if I'm right. She kills me with this song. I should have moved her higher up on my best albums list...

Anyways, good stuff. Go big.

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: