Monday, May 11, 2009

Couple Things...

So I'm finally starting to feel better. After my trip to the ER, I guess my virus decided I had had enough and started to withdraw. My fever dropped on Thursday and aside from working on Friday and Saturday, I didn't do much else but rest which probably helped. I woke up today excited at the prospect of getting outside and running for a while since I haven't been able to in a week, but my lungs are still not yet rid of the phlegm that's been keeping me up at night, and I didn't make it very far before I had to stop and have a coughing fit for a while.

I have been trying to get in better shape by running and possibly secretly starting to train for the NYC half marathon. Indians aren't runners, and I say secretly training because if I tell people I am training and then don't do it, I'll feel pretty lame. I haven't decided if I am going to or not yet, but it's only(!?!?) 13 miles and I feel like that is a pretty attainable number by mid August. I've historically been a terrible runner. I am fine at the mile (if you remember me telling you a couple years ago that my best mile time was something like 5:56) but beyond that I start to lose steam.

In recent years my running regiment went something like this: run a mile and a half, jog for a little, sprint for a while, jog for a little then sprint until I couldn't run anymore and usually that would add up to around 3 miles. After recently consulting with a runner on how to get into 'running shape' I cut out the sprinting and all the faster running and now try and run at a constant speed for as long as I can. At first it didn't go so well, but now I am up to 37 minutes of straight running before I need to stop, which isn't a whole lot, but it's a lot for me. I've never been a fan of cross country and have never seen the joy in it, but if I want to burn some fat, sitting around isn't going to cut it anymore. I hate getting older. I find myself missing the days when I could eat 3 bags of chips for lunch with a soda and some cookies, then get Wendys after school and still be hungry for dinner and not gain a pound. Now if I eat a cookie, I'm cursing the stars for putting it square on my stomach and mad at the world for making them so wonderfully delicious. Why do cookies, ice cream and cake all have to be so bad for you?! It's preposterous. Why would someone do that to me?

Whatever, I'm getting old and the only thing to do about it is run, Forrest, run. I'm out. Go big or go home. Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it.

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: