Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Snoozin'...

Today I went to go see a couple movies and the best part about it didn't happen on a screen. Before the first movie it was apparent that someone was sleeping. Every time there would be a break in the commercials before the previews you could hear some dude snoring loud. Very loud. Someone must have told an employee and they came and tried to wake him up. This didn't work. The dude was politely trying to wake him up by saying, "Sir. Sir. Sir, wake up." This was clearly a bad plan, so he went and got more help. Another dude came and did essentially the same thing. Then they got a third dude. This third guy came and told them to shake him, but the other guys clearly read their employee handbook and responded by saying they weren't allowed to touch anyone. So they started shouting, "Sir! Wake up!" Again, words failed. This guy actually kept snoring while yet another employee came and tried. There were four employees coming when a manager finally came and tried again. This time she shook the chair. The guy continued to sleep and actually rolled over to the side a little bit. So now there were five employees and he still wasn't awake. Then another manager, probably the highest level of authority that remained, came and shook the chair and kept shaking and shaking and shouting. The dude finally woke up surrounded by 6 people and was asked to step outside. He never came back so I assumed he was told to leave. It was ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it.

Anyway, that happened before I saw "It Might Get Loud," which was sort of a documentary where Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge got together to talk about the electric guitar. It was pretty good. Not much of a story but it was interesting watching them tell how each of them got into the guitar and see old pictures and videos of Jimmy Page way before he was in Zeppelin. Jack White is by far one of the coolest dudes on the face of the planet and this makes me want to get a poster of him so I can look at his face everyday and try and emulate everything he does. The Edge was okay, he had a couple of moments but there's only so much I can take of someone doing the same stuff over and over again. Yeah, you use effects to make your guitar sound cool, neat.

I also saw "Inglorious Basterds." The movie was ok. I wouldn't see it again. I wasn't that excited for it so it wasn't a disappointment. It was pretty much as good as I thought it would be. Tarantino isn't usually someone I get super excited about. He'll never write anything as good again as "True Romance," and he'll never direct anything again that's as good as "Kill Bill vol. 1," so I really don't have too much to get excited about. I loved Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but, with the exception of Kill Bill, all these movie were over a decade ago. What has he done for me lately?

Pretty soon I'll do a best of the summer movie and it's not going to be anything close to what I thought it would look like back in the spring. I'm out. Go big or go home.

-M, p, z & shredder

tfln: "(904): I just realized that "Hey girl, when you gonna let me tap that?" is in iambic pentameter. I'm going to write a poem"

No comments: