Monday, September 14, 2009

Another Day Closer to Death...

Did anyone watch the MTV VMAs last night? Neither did I. In yet another example that I'm getting older and more out of touch with today's youth, I actually thought it was the MTV Movie Awards. Tomorrow I turn 27. Meh. The only birthday I ever cared about was when I turned 16 because then the world was mine. Once you can drive there is nothing stopping you from doing everything. That license is your ticket out of anything. I didn't care so much about 21 because I had a fake and I was also the last of my friends to turn 21 so the novelty had already worn off. I was somewhat intrigued by turning 25 because then you can rent a car, but then I learned that you can rent one after you turn 18 - it just costs an asinine amount in insurance.

So 27 is just another day closer to death. I'm not actually that morbid, but it's more of an interesting fact than anything. I'm also not that out of touch with today's youth - for example, I just bought the new Jay-Z album last week. He's still cool, right? The problem I have with today's youth is that they're spoiled. Cell phones for 5 year olds? People had pagers when I was in high school. My first cell phone was in college and it was analog - oh my, the static was heinous. Kids don't send notes in class, they text each other under their desks. They don't sneak a coke into the library, they send friends naked pics of some poor slut that Jimmy made out with.

Essentially I don't think kids act like kids anymore. They're growing up too fast. Too much booze, too much sex and too much technology. These kids have access to everything so early they they never get a chance to be innocent. We didn't have high speed internet when I was 10 - we had Oregon Trail. We didn't even have high speed internet in our school when I graduated - it wasn't until college that T3 changed my life. Kids get everything now when they should be first weaned on cartoons and Saved by the Bell and Dawson's Creek. Now they have Gossip Girl and other slutty shows that teach kids it's cool to drink and party and be a terrible person.

Anyway, I'm old and rambling. I'm out. My point is that Kanye West is an asshole, I love Taylor Swift and always will, and I have never seen any of the music videos that they were talking about last night, but Beyonce is pretty nice.

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - tfln: "(619): You should have seen the look on the cashiers face when I was buying steel reserve with a suit on. "

No comments: