Sunday, May 09, 2010

F*ck AT&T...

Wow. I fucking hate AT&T. Ever since I moved to Chicago I drop calls like Charlie Batch dropped snaps (awesomely dated Detroit Lions reference). Most of you know that I'm from a Michigan/Canada border town. Well, AT&T has always been shitty there and when I'm sitting in my parents house, I don't get reception from AT&T but instead get it from a tower in nearby Canada, which, like Sarah Palin and Russia, I can see from my house. So for the last two years every time I go home, I get roaming charges. At first I was miffed because I thought it would be an issue, but it was no big deal and the charges were taken off. Every time I go home, I get charges, I call, they take them off. This is the way things have gone for over 2 1/2 years.

So last month I went home and this month I had roaming charges. I make my usual Sunday afternoon call and some asshole named P.J. who doesn't really speak English and tries endearingly hard to pronounce his way through bumbled colloquialisms and who doesn't understand what I'm talking about tells me there's no roaming charges (even though it clearly says it on my bill). Then he somehow finds them, mumbles for a couple minutes, puts me on hold, then transfers me.

So some chick gets on the phone and tells me that she can take my charges off but wants to do something so it doesn't happen again. She works for customer service so I'm sure she's trying to sell me something because usually it only takes a few minutes. She then tells me that she can set my account to never get any international signals to which I respond that then I wouldn't get any service at all when I'm home. I tell her not to add the feature and to just take the charges off. She then tells me that she can take the charges off this month but since she offered me the option of not getting the roaming signal, that in the future they can never take off the charges. I tell her that is unacceptable and that I've been doing this for years and why is this happening all of the sudden. She then keeps saying the same thing so I do something I've never done before, I ask to speak to her manager.

Her manager gets on the phone and tells me the same shit, so I tell her that it's fucking ridiculous that I've been doing this for over two years, which I remind her is an inconvenience to me in the first place, and that now when I go home, I'm going to get roaming charges for not even roaming. She has nothing new to say and then has the balls to tell me that according to her computer, the area is serviced well by AT&T. So I tell her that I've actually been there and to look at my phone bill because clearly it's not. She says there is nothing she can do so I say fine, add the feature, get rid of the charges and I'm switching to Verizon. But I'm not done bitching. So I ask to speak to her boss or her bosses boss or someone I can bitch to and I'm currently waiting on a call back from whoever that may be...

Wow. So I waited a couple hours for the phone call that was supposed to come in less than 30 minutes. This is officially ending in war.

-M, p, z & shredder

2 comments:

yooper1019 said...

You should send this in to The Consumerist. I think it would have a great chance of getting posted. Maybe tweak it a little for language.

Sandra Dena said...

Amen! I've been a cingular and cingular-affiliate hater since 2004. Get out before they try to take your first born.

BTW I'm a friend of Will and Jim Huynh.