Thursday, July 09, 2009

Summer Breeze...

Sorry, I haven't posted in a bit. With the warm weather, outdoor activities and summer blockbusters, I find my summer blogs are always reduced to nothing noteworthy and nothing interesting, but in an effort to keep you entertained while staring out the window looking at the clock until you can get outside and join the world, I'll do my best to post something, regardless of how inane it is.

There have actually been some things on my mind, but my (very late) lunch is almost ready and I need to eat. So I will just talk about some movies you need to see. First, if you haven't already, make sure you do all you can to never ever see Transformers 2 - you'll die of boredom and waste 2 1/2 hours of your life when you could be doing anything else. That said, if you are lucky enough to live in a city that screens indie movies, go see Moon and Away We Go. Moon stars my boy Sam Rockwell (of Choke and soon to be of Iron Man 2) and is probably one of the most interesting stories I've seen in some time. It takes place on the Moon (obv) but it's not really about that. It's hard to describe without giving any of it away so if you can see it, do so, and if you can't wait til it comes out on dvd.



Away We Go has a somewhat wider release but still might be hard to find but it's definitely worth driving 30 minutes to see. Even though I pretty much despise director Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Revolution Road) he did a pretty stellar job here, mostly because he didn't have a hand in writing any of it. Actually my boy, Dave Eggars (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, What is the What) co-wrote it and his writing really shows. It's a good movie and a good soundtrack so check it out.



Other than that, HP 6 comes out next Wed (or Tuesday at midnight if you are a huge nerd like me) and you should all see it. As always, go big or go home. Go outside as well...

Swami out

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: