Tuesday, December 02, 2008

16 Hours...or Why I Hate Pennsylvania...

Not true. I don't actually hate Pennsylvania. I love it. My cousins live there. It's a beautiful state. I just hate driving through it. Some of you might know they I keep my car here in NYC. I know, crazy right? Not really that crazy where I live. I park on the street and move it twice a week for street cleaning. It's not a big deal and I haven't had any problems (as far as traffic violations go (but some neighborhood people have tried to break into it)). I have it here for the singular reason to drive out of town. Specifically to get back to Michigan when I can't afford to fly, i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter etc. I love driving and I love road trips. It's only about 9 hours from my apartment to Ann Arbor which isn't bad at all.

So the other day I was driving home from Michigan. It started out as a normal drive: pleasant, quiet, not a lot of people out considering it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving (I think it's the 3rd or 4th most trafficked day of the year). Anyways, all was fine until I got to Pennsylvania. It started to rain. Not freezing rain mind you, just somewhere between a light drizzle and normal rain. For some reason or another this was an excuse for people to drive 40mph. Literally. We hovered between 30 and 40 for almost 2 hours. Then there was an accident. Then more slow driving. It usually takes me around 5 1/2 hours to get through PA. Sunday it took me 9. 9 hours. It was absurd. By the time I got to my apartment it had been 16 hours since I left my parents house in Port Huron. I have never wanted to hit so many pedestrians in my life. Needless to say, my patience has been very thin the last couple days. I'm just now starting to get over the anger. Just in time too because I need to drive back in 20 days. Awesome.

Other than that I loved being home. Being in Michigan. Amongst my people. I'm not really a fan of New Yorkers or the fact that people who live here think they are somehow above people who live in other places. I hate when people go back to Michigan and think, "oh my god how can people live like this with their boring lives and boring people." New York is just a bunch of people who think they are more interesting than they really are and are in fact much more boring than anyone else because they have no real thoughts on anything, just an idea as to what thoughts they think they are supposed to have. As if NYC is the only place in the world to be "cultured." It really makes me have a lot of resentment for the people here.

Other than that nothing is new over here. This recession along with an already tight job market for filmmakers is kind of making life impossible at the moment. The thought of grad school has been slowly creeping into my thoughts, which could be a good thing or a bad thing but I'm not really sure. I'll keep you posted on that one. I miss the snow and I can't wait for Christmas. I'm fully in the Christmas spirit now which is awesome but also sucks because it was 53 degrees here yesterday and is currently 49 and mostly sunny.

I'll post about something soon. As always, go big or go home.

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: