Monday, September 29, 2008

Still Searching...

So I've started my new life as Future Me. It's pretty much the same as Old Me actually. But I've started applying for non-profit jobs and it seems everything I'm interested in has to do with kids on some level. That and overall social well being. Apparently it's impossible to get a job at a non-profit to help with AIDS or anything science related without an extensive background in it so I'm pretty much f-ed there. It's also very apparent that I don't want to do phone calls or door-to-doors. I never have and probably never will. Mostly because I know how much it pisses me off. And I don't want to do that to other people. I do think it's a somewhat effective way to do things, I just don't have it in me to anger so many people.

I've also come to acceptance with my current and future income bracket. I had a friend in town for most of last week who was crashing at another friends place. When people come visit in a city like this there are pretty much two things to do at night: dinner and drinks. I don't eat out a lot. I don't really like to and I prefer the taste and cost effectiveness of cooking for myself. I also don't drink when I stay home. Which is nice. Anyway, my friend was staying at another friends place who lives in a 2 bedroom apartment in a high rise in Times Square. His apartment cost $1.5 million. I will never have enough money to purchase anything of that magnitude. Sure I could have a 40 year mortgage on a home like that, but it would drain almost all of my income. And what's the point in life if you can't live it. So this apartment is pretty nice. It's not much bigger than mine but it's a great location and it's clean. I don't mind living in the hood. I really don't. But after crashing at this lavish apartment twice over the weekend, I was definitely envious. But then I came home and it felt more natural. Slightly ghetto but still comfortable. I will never be able to afford to eat out every single meal, nor would I want to. But if I only make 30k a year right now, I'm fine with that. I don't spend a whole lot and I don't need a whole lot. All I need is money for rent, food and I'd like to fly places at least a few times a year and if it takes saving money by living in the ghetto to do that, I'm fine with that. there are too many people in this city making 25k and spending 80% of their income on rent just so they can live in a 'cool' neighborhood.

In other news, I think I almost killed my liver this weekend. Since I prefer to stay in and watch movies or go out and watch movies on the weekend, the only time I drink is when I go somewhere or when people come to visit. For example last weekend in Baltimore I drank my face off for three days. Then my boy came in on Wed and we drank until early Sunday morning. My life is comprised of binge drinking. Next up is back to East Lansing for Homecoming this weekend. Then the next weekend my brother and another friend are in town for another wedding. I want to find a month to take off from drinking but I don't think I'll get a chance until November. The only good thing about my drinking is that I still keep it cheap, 40s and 22s until I'm drunk enough to only buy one or two drinks at the bar.

This was a very boring post. Sorry. I'll do better next time. Go big.

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - this blog was infuriating to write. It feels like someone moved all the keys on my keyboard over just one letter. I can't even tell you how many times i misspelled words here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, have you seen 'son of rambow'. hilarious and endearing. and british.