Monday, March 17, 2008

The Pope Didn't Go To State...

Obviously.

Last week the Pope changed St. Patty's day from the 17th to the 15th because he felt that the 17th would have been to close to Easter. Or something along those lines. The idea was that people shouldn't be drinking the same week as Easter. The Pope didn't go to State. Instead of what would have normally been a tame weekend before a St. Patty's day that would have landed on Monday, by moving it to Saturday, Mr. Pope turned it into a three day binge drinking weekend here in East Lansing. State kids know how to party so rather than change their plans of drinking on Monday to Saturday, they just added two more days filled with green beer.

I have often touted my old age as the reason I can't drink like I used to and try as I might, I still can't keep up. I had planned on doing a big Saturday and Monday but the first day killed me. I remember hitting the bar at 6am back when I was 21 and staying out all day. By the time I was 23 I didn't make it out til 10am and had to take an afternoon nap before drinking again at night. Now at 25, I got to the bar at 1:30pm, hot another one around 4 or so, then back to the apartment for a round of Power Hour. It was by far the toughest Power Hour I have ever done and I ended up passing out shortly after it was over for about 2 hours before we went out again. I was tired. Very tired.




















(Much too old to be acting like this)

I am resigned to the fact that not only am I not capable of weekend long drinking binges anymore, but I don't want to do them. So far this year I have only been drunk on 4 occasions. That's pretty good considering last year I was probably drunk at least once a week, but being in NYC will do that to you. One of my resolutions was to drink much less this year in accordance with my "get healthy" regime, and I gotta say, drinking is the easiest of my 'vices' to give up. Unlike cookies, ice-cream, chips and wings, giving up alcohol isn't hard. It's pretty easy actually. All you gotta do is not do it. Sometimes I crave a chocolate chip cookie, and that usually results in me buying a pack of the "break and bake" nestle chocolate chunks. Delicious. But I never crave alcohol.

I digress. A lot. Actually I either forgot my point or didn't have one in the first place. Either way, I'm done. Go big...

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - I hate green beer. I finally avoided any this year, but for some reason it makes me sick. I know. It's just food coloring. It's got nothing in it to make me sick. But perhaps it's my kryptonite. Who knows. I can't deal with it though and I don't have to.

No comments: