Monday, May 23, 2011

Law Suit...

So the guy who tattooed Mike Tyson's face is suing the producers of The Hangover II because they've re-created the tattoo on Ed Helms' face. When I first heard this a few weeks ago I rolled my eyes, but I think I'm actually on his side now. If you've ever gotten a tattoo, you know that tattoo artists are proud of their work and consider it their artwork that they're putting on your body.

No when you're dealing with art and who owns it, things can get a bit tricky. Obviously the Mona Lisa is used in many movies and I don't think they're paying dues to some Da Vinci fund to use it. But the way I see it, the guy owns the design. He doesn't own Mike Tyson, who I think should be free to go wherever he wants without paying this artist, but when they take the design and use it to their financial gain, that doesn't sit right with me. I'm not saying this guy should get a billion dollars, but he should be paid accordingly.

Musicians sell the rights to their music for movie soundtracks and I don't see this as being any different. It plays a more significant role than just a song so I think he should be paid more than whatever a musicians label gets, but he should definitely be paid.

I'm not a lawyer (much to the disappointment of my mother) but some of you are and I wonder what your stance is on the situation.

Anyway, go big. If you still haven't seen Fast Five, don't talk to me.

-M, p, z & shredder

1 comment:

Nathaniel J Baker I, Esq. said...

There actually is case law discussing IP rights associated with tattoo design, but this is a recent and therefore unsettled area of law. If you'd like to learn more, it will cost you $300/hour.