Friday, November 21, 2008

So I Say to Amy Poehler...

Usually I stick to myself while catering. It's about 5 or 6 hours of walking around doing really menial things and it's a great time to just space out and not talk to people. I'm not exactly a loner, but I don't have a lot to say to the people around me and I find nothing more asinine than mundane conversation with people I don't know who I may never see again. Sometimes you meet someone nice and you can complain with them for a minute, but usually it's people bitching about something you could care less about. So I like to keep to myself.

However, last night was different. I was working at the Natural History Museum where I had worked a couple of times before. I was doing my usual routine of standing around looking at all the cool animals waiting to be told where to go and what to do (usually bus this or serve this or pour this) until I saw a friend of mine (I know I just said I'm a loner but she's a friend from State) who told me what the event was. Apparently it was a gala for the Museum to raise money for exhibits and stuff and that Bon Jovi was going to be performing and there were going to be celebs. This sent everyone into a buzz and people were talking about who was gonna be there and how excited they were and it was kinf of fun. This was also kind of sad actually because they had over booked staff and since I didn't have a dinner table I was assigned to I was sure I was going to get cut after the reception. So I kind of lingered where I needed to and as soon as they needed a busser I was the first one out there.

I didn't notice her at first because I was actually doing what I was supposed to be doing which is looking at people's cups to see if they were done so I could take it. I actually was trying to squeeze right by her and only noticed it was Amy Poehler when I was standing right next to her. So I smiled and she smiled back and then I smiled even wider and looked away really quickly so I didn't seem creepy. Then I continued bussing and on my second pass over her area I was looking for her and nearly ran into Kristen Wiig (who I'm in love with) who also smiled at me. At this point I was wishing I took a little more pride in my job and at the very least combed my hair and maybe put a little something in it. At least I always smell good.

So the reception goes on and as time progresses I ended up speaking to most of the cast of SNL, all of whom were very nice and always said thank you with a smile and appreciation, maybe because they know that 90% of the people catering are actors or writers or what have you. I was actually surprised they were all so nice. On Wed night I worked an event at the Intrepid (it a famous aircraft carrier) where there were generals and military people and high powered whatevers,and strangely enough General Patreus (he was getting an award) was the only one who smiled and said no thank you when I offered him an hors d'oeuvre. A lot of them didn't even acknowledge my presence. I was kind of like, 'who the f*** are these people?' So it was refreshing that these famous celebrities were actually very nice people.



The highlight of my night was telling Gob Bluth (Will Arnett) to head downstairs to the dining room whenever he was ready and putting my arm on Seth Meyers shoulder and pointing out the direction of the dining room to him, Bill Hader and Will Forte. Good times.

Anyways, it was an awesome night until I my prediction came true and I was sent home (not just me but about 30 of us) after the reception so I didn't get to see Bon Jovi at all. Also, Tina Fey did show up but it wasn't until the reception was almost over so I didn't get to talk to her but she looks exactly like she does on tv. Crazy.

I'm out. As always, go big or go home...

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: