Friday, November 14, 2008

Couple of Things...

Not much going on lately in my life, hence no posts all week. Pretty standard boring stuff: work, library, eating and sleeping. Extremely lame. I just wanted to mention two things. First, the new Watchmen trailer is online. It's awesome. If you haven't read the graphic novel, I can't emphasize this enough: you need to. I implore you. Read it. It's not just a 'comic book' for nerds. It's been taught in english classes and lit classes for 2 decades now. It's really an amazing story.



Second, this article about Chauncey getting traded is great. I'm gonna post the first part of it. It still makes me cry that he isn't here, but it was a good trade and I love A.I. Actually, my Iverson Pistons jersey just came in the mail yesterday and as strange as it felt putting it on, I loved it...













"Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton were crying. There they were, two NBA All-Stars, in Billups’ room in the Hilton City Center in Charlotte … crying. And laughing. And crying again.

The Pistons had just traded Billups to the Denver Nuggets for Allen Iverson. Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince had gotten word that morning, when Billups did not attend the team’s shootaround. They got back to the hotel and pounded on Billups’ door.

Billups was on the phone with his wife, Piper. He told her he’d call her back later. It turned out to be much later.

“It was the hardest two or three hours that I’ve had in a long, long time in my life,” Billups said. “We just couldn’t believe that it’s over. It’s over. That’s the thing that’s so tough about trades. No matter what happens, it’s over. So those two or three hours were crazy.”

They reminisced, told stories, savored their last hours before Billups’ 4 p.m. flight to another franchise. It was a strange dynamic, and not just because of the crying.

The three had been teammates since 2002, when they joined the Pistons. There had been trade rumors all summer. Pistons president Joe Dumars had told Billups that he had offered Billups and Prince for Denver’s Carmelo Anthony, and that he had turned down a Billups-for-Iverson trade over the summer. Once the season started, Billups figured the Pistons would stick with their core.

Now Billups knew he was gone. Prince knew the trade meant that he probably would stay put. And Hamilton had just agreed, days earlier, to a three-year contract extension.

There is no place for sentiment in the NBA. But there was a place for it in Chauncey Billups’ hotel room that day.

“It was good,” Billups said in a wide-ranging interview Thursday, at the Nuggets’ team hotel in Cleveland. “It was deep. I will never forget my six years in Detroit, and I will never forget those three hours that I spent with my two brothers in that room.”

Anyways, I'm out. As always go big and stuff.

-M, p, z & shredder

oh ps - and this is hilarious and this episode will no doubt, rule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

first of all, that live-action aqua teen episode is gonna be the best shit ever.

second of all, i think i should be in charge of all the action sequences and you should be in charge of all the tear-jerkers. i think this could really work.

third, i saw tv on the radio in sf on sunday. dude.