Thursday, August 28, 2008

Party Like a Rock Star...

If you haven't been watching the Democratic National Convention, you need to. I guess everyone's been saving their money speeches for this week and I'm sure Barack's will be no different tonight. Former president Clinton gave a great speech last night. Great enough, I think, to make everyone forget how annoying he became during Hillary's run. He made me admire him again and realize all over again why I wish he would have been able to run for a third term. Also, Steven Spielberg produced a tribute to US Veterans and it was pretty awesome. Then again, when has he ever done something bad that was related to the military or army?



Sadly though, the more people I talk to about politics or more specifically, this election, the more I realize no one cares. Despite everything in this country being in the shits, people still don't care enough to read a paper or watch the news. It amazes me to hear what little people know about an election as important as this one, and it demoralizes me to hear that they just don't care. I'm not sure what the notion behind all this apathy is? That maybe this election doesn't effect them? That it doesn't matter who the president is? That watching America's Got Talent is somehow more beneficial to them than deciding who to vote for?

I admit that I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to politics or the inner workings of lobbyists and congress, but I'm trying. And I'm also not trying to sound self-righteous. I love watching inane shows as much as anyone else, but I do have a problem when people don't pay attention to what's happening or know anything about what is going on, but pass themselves as people who care; concerned citizens. Doubtful. I'm fine with the people who willingly admit they don't care. It takes more self awareness to admit that. I don't agree with them, but I respect their decision to not care about the election and then not vote. What bothers me are the people that don't care but say they do. The ones who say they are voting for someone and then can't give an answer as to why. This is how Bush got elected twice. People don't pay attention to anything and then we end up with an awful president for 8 years.

Anyways, tonight Barack accepts the Democratic Nomination and will probably give one of the best speeches since the one he gave at the convention in 04. Watch it. It'll be on at least 8 different channels and he will probably speak around 9 though it could come earlier. Regardless if you are already voting for him, or voting for McCain, just watch it. Take an interest in the world you live in. I realize college football kicks off tonight. I'm not saying you need to listen to what a bunch of random suits have to say about every single line anyone has said during this election, or pretending like they have some insight into politics because I hate the pundits as much as anyone else. But I do think you should watch Obama's speech tonight and McCain's next week. It's important.

Sorry. That turned into a rant. Anyways, go big or go home...

-M, p, z & shredder

No comments: