Monday, October 16, 2006















TV is Good Again...

So I realized that my last few blogs have been nothing but self promotion for my terrible movies. I apologize for boring you, if I did. I have a couple of things to talk about that have nothing to do with film school so feel free to actually read this blog. The first thing I want to talk about is how good tv shows are this year. I mean, it's incredible. The only shows that I have been glued to for the last couple years have been Grey's and Entourage. Not only are both of those shows having awesome seasons so far, but there is an entire lineup of other shows that are awesome. Heroes, Studio 60, Friday Night Lights and Six Degrees all have my attention and I have Tivo make sure I never miss an episode. Last year, I wrote a blog about how terrible tv was and how sad I was that there are no more shows that rules, well, I am glad that they were listening to me. I don't want to get too in depth on of them in particular, but I will rank them (behind grey's and entourage of course) so you know which one is more important to watch if you aren't watching any of them. Studio 60 is the best; Aaron Sorkin is pretty much a genius and it reminds me a lot of how good the West Wing was for it's first 5 seasons, until he left. Heroes gets the edge over Six Degrees simply because the story line is pretty original. At first I thought it might be lame but it actually has a really good story that isn't entirely revealved yet which is cool. Six Degrees is awesome and it also helps that Shiri Appleby is in it. I am gonna go out on a limb and put her tied with Rachel McAdams in my top 3 who aren't married. Friday Night Lights is good, but I wish they would cut out the ridiculous hand held shots. It's not quite as good as the movie but it might be because the cast isn't as good.

NYC is pretty ridiculous. I thought for sure I would get homesick within a short time of moving out here, what with the lack of nature. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the parks here. The cool thing about manhattan is that it is an island. It is almost impossible for me to miss home and lake huron when there is water all around me. Beyond that though, there is an intrinsic beauty in the city. Somehow everything here is so distinctly new york. I bring my camera everywhere I go because there are scenes that I come across everyday, simple mundane scenes, that somehow seem grand and special. It could be the honeymoon effect I am still experiencing with the city, but if it is, I hope it doesn't go away. I'll be posting some pictures on here as often as I can.

Anyways, that's it for now, I'm extremely tired and I can't think. It's funny, we spend all week (or in this case the last couple weeks) developing a story and flushing it out and thinking about it constantly, that it takes away the rest of my brain capacity and I can't formulate thoughts on anything else. Whateva. Get your feet off the ground and reach for the stars. Go big or go home. Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever. Carpe diem bitches.

Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it.

-M, p & z

oh ps - I used to watch movies constantly. I mean at least one a day, usually one and a half and oftentimes twice a day. After moving here I have found myself not watching movies at all. I have only been to the movie theater twice and have only watched a couple of dvds. That's like an average of one movie a week. It's kind of ironic, no? Also, I am back on the starving student diet; I even had ramen yesterday. Rules. The picture at the top I took at the 82nd St. Station in Queens and the one below I took in Battery Park City on the lower west side. That's the statue of liberty on the left side of the pic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the anal police ("anal" being used in the non-biological sense) but Sorkin left WW after the 4th season. I only point this out because the Sorkinless 5th season is generally regarded among aficionados as the worst.

Also, I have to agree Heroes completely rules. I too thought it was going to be lame, but I felt like I owed it a chance since it's on the same station that brought me West Wing and Conan O'Brien, and I love it now. Having good TV shows makes you look forward to shitty days of the week.