Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Best of 2010: Movies...

Man, I'm sorry. I really suck at blogging lately. So in an attempt to fill my January quota, I'm going to try and barrage you with overdue blogs. First up, following suit with the release of the Oscar noms on Monday, here are my top 10 movies of 2010, also known as Animation Domination.

[just a reminder to those who question my choices, these are my favorite movies of the year which I think embody the best of all categories which includes entertainment value as witnessed by last years winner, Avatar, which nudged out 2nd place Moon which had the best acting by far.]

While compiling the list of movies I've seen this year (which was probably close to 40) I must say, the competition was stiffer than I thought. They weren't the greatest movies ever, but ranking them was tougher than I thought. So as usual, here are the honorable mentions: Robin Hood, The Switch, Going the Distance, Micmacs, Get Low, The Fighter and Scott Pilgrim.

10.) Kick-Ass
Kick-Ass was one of my favorite graphic novels and I was worried they would ruin it the same way the ruined Wanted, but I was pleasantly surprised. Nick Cage didn't blow it and casting an unknown was really the only was I could get behind it. They changed very little and it ended up being almost as cool as the book.

9.) The Expendables
The movie pretty much opens with Dolf Lundgren yelling, "Warning shot!" and then shooting a guy in half with a grenade launcher. It only gets more ridiculous and hilarious after that.

8.) The Warrior's Way
Not sure if this was an manga or an anime before, but this is how movies like Street Fighter and Dragonball should have been made. It's the closest thing to a real life anime I've ever seen and I was blown away by the action.

7.) Despicable Me

The first of many animated movies on here. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and cozy up with a blanket and some popcorn because this one's adorable.

6.) True Grit
I am a huge fan of the original and though they changed a few things, the Coens somehow made it better. Jeff Bridges is awesome in it and if Hailee Steinfeld doesn't win an Oscar, I'm going to punch someone in the face.

5.) District-13: Ultimatum
If you haven't seen District B-13, it's on netflix instant. Two things I love, parkour and action movies, couldn't have meshed more perfectly. This sequel was even better than the first. Non-stop action and "wtf did he just do?!"

4.) How To Train Your Dragon

This could have landed in either the third or second spot as well. There isn't a whole lot I can say about it. It's everything you want in a movie.


















3.) Toy Story 3
Emotional roller-coaster. I've been waiting for this movie for a very long time and was not disappointed. I laughed, I cried, I cried, I laughed and then I bawled. What a great ending to what has to be one of the greatest trilogies of all time.














2.) The A-Team
You may be wondering how this movie got so high on my list. Well, the first time I saw it, it might have been 6th, the second time I saw it maybe 4th, but the more I watch it the better it gets. It's just a really funny perfect summer action flick. It's well paced, well thought out and surprisingly well acted. I have as much fun watching it as it looks like they had making it.














1.) Inception

Before I saw the movie, I read an review that said something to the effect of, "it doesn't matter if you hear people talk about it before you see it because you'll have no idea what they're talking about. I could tell you the whole plot of the movie and you wouldn't know what I was talking about until you saw it." That pretty much sums it up. There are a lot of theories about the ending and while I believe he wasn't dreaming, a friend of mine pointed out that the top wasn't even his totem, it was his gun. Who knows. This film an incredible work of art.

No comments: