Wednesday, September 13, 2006

New York City, You Are Now Rappin with Michigan's Finest...














So here I am, a New Yorker. It is truly a different world. Nothing in my past cities of residence can equate to what will be my life here. I miss Michigan like you wouldn't believe, but living here is ntoxicating and adventurous and new and all of it keeps me from being sad about missing home. So far I have noticed some pros and cons but as I've only been living here for a week I am going to reserve judgement on which is a better place to live. The following are a few stories or observances that have happened to me in the last week.

Going grocery shopping is tough. I don't mean that it is hard to get to the store, Whole Foods is only 5 block away and surprisingly less expensive than the Whole Foods in Ann Arbor. Anyways, the tough part is deciding what you really need and what you don't need. Unlike back home where I could fill up a cart with the 15 of the heaviest bags you could imagine, out here you have to carry your bags home. I am a pretty terrible shopper at the grocery store. I will throw in the most random things in the world that I might possibly want to eat one day if I had a weird craving. Here I have to decide what I am going to eat for the next few days. Also, try finding everything you need at one store. There is no Meijers here so, unfortunately, I now need to go to three different stores to get what I need. Life was mich easier when I could get my produce, my underwear and my dvds in one store. It was also easier when I didn't have to carry things 5 blocks.

New York City has a reputation of having very unfriendly people who will mug you at the first chance they get. I have yet to meet anyone here that isn't insanely nice. Everyone goes out of their way to say, 'sorry' or 'excuse me' is they bump into you in the street. People are friendly and courteous and that is definitely a good thing.

On Sunday my roommate texts me and say "Dinner tonight at 8. Me, Melissa (this girl he is dating), Graham (another boy who went to our highschool), and some other dude." It sounds like fun so I agree. We get to dinner and are talking to this guy Bill Plympton, and as it turns out he was up for an Oscar last year for "Best Animated Short." So on my second night in NYC, I had dinner with, not just some "other dude" or even some guy in the industry, but an Academy Award Nominee. Anyways that was pretty cool. Then yesterday as I was coming home from Bryant Park (actually a very good place to sit and read and get some piece and quiet right near Times Sqaure,) and I was chanigng songs on my i-pod and I almost took out the E! Channel's Guiliana DePandi. If you ever watch entertainment tonight or E! News Daily she hosts it with Ryan Seacrest. Anyways I looked up before I walked into her so it's all good.









Anyways I start school tomorrow so there won't be as much time to fraternize with celebs but I will keep you all posted on how school is and how weird people are and all the cool famous people I am hanging out with. As always, get your feet off the ground and reach for the stars. Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever. Carpe Diem bitches. Go big or go home.

M, p & z

oh ps -
I got JT's new cd and its sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Get it. Earlier this summer I said I would go to the Virgin Megastore to get it because I thought he would be there doing a show or something but then eysterday I figured he wouldnt really be there so I didn't go and I guess he had an autograph signing..oh well, I'll just have to get him to sign it when we hang out on my birthday this weekend. Also, Everclear's new album is much better than the last one but still, if they didn't have the name everclear I wouldn't have bought it.... Grey's Anatomy season 2 also rules...

No comments: