Friday, June 05, 2009

Roller Coaster...

I started this year thinking this was the year of me and the year things would fall into place but it seems while I've had some amazing highs (including my Euro-trip which I just returned from late last night) it's also been filled with some cavernous lows. Last night on my way home from the airport my dad told me that my other ferret, Peach, had to be put down last Saturday. She wasn't doing very well before I left for my trip but after taking her to the ER and getting some meds and looking after her like I was an ICU nurse, she seemed to be getting better - walking around and even playing with me. I was hoping the worst was over and she would start coming around. But I guess things turned last Saturday and my mom and some friends took her back to the ER where she had to be put down. Once again I'm plagued by the fact that I wasn't here and what's worse is that I was having an amazing time in Europe while she was going through this. Life is an asshole sometimes.


















Peach was an amazing ferret. Where Zelda seemed to typify ferret behavior - crazy, hyper, hilarious and rebellious - Peach seemed to have been destined to be a cat. She liked sitting in laps, having her belly rubbed, eating, sleeping and had a general urge to lounge. Unlike Zelda, who surged around with reckless abandon, Peach always seemed to analyze the situation and if it took too much effort she would either move on to something else or - my favorite - lay down in the middle of the floor spread out like Superman determined to get as much relaxing in as she could before she went to sleep.


















Her best characteristic by far was how much she loved her sister. She would always look after Zelda no matter what. She always kept an eye on her and protected her - always sleeping on top of her, using her bigger body to keep Zelda's Mary-Kate physique warm. They were from the same litter so I can't be sure who came out first, but I'm convinced it was Peach. One time Zelda got into a drain hole in a basement and when I came downstairs to check on them, Peach was standing vigilant outside the hole staring down chirping and all I could think of was how on earth we were going to get her out without a jackhammer so I grabbed Zelda's squeaker that she always came to and when she finally came out, covered in mud, Peach bounced up to her, smelled her, and started cleaning her off.

She was never the same after Zelda died and I know she was depressed about losing her. Not to get too deep, but I'm a pretty religious person and while I'm not sure what happens when we die, I am confident that they are finally hanging out together. It sounds ridiculous but I guess that's what faith is. I love her and I miss her and the world is much lamer without the two of them in it.

As always, go big or go home. Carpe diem.

-M, p, z & shredder

Euro stories to come soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Much love to Peach and her sister Zelda. --Sylvia