Sunday, August 13, 2006

Nothing Worse than Moving...Unless it's to NYC

I hate moving. Actually, me and moving get along like Harry Potter and Voldemort. I hated moving into my last apartment which was on the first floor and had an outside entry so all I had to do was walk from the car to the door. My apartment in NYC is in Manhattan, a place where traffic runs rampant. I have seen it a zillion times in movies: cars packed bumper to bumper trying to wedge their way into a lane; George Costanza made it seem like the worst thing in the entire world as he would recount his adventures in parking. Parking alone was the premise of many a Seinfeld episode. So naturally I was thinking that this would be the worst move ever. I had pictured myself carrying my belongings block after block, or double parking in the street and getting towed. So after spending all day Monday packing my belongings (or at least half of them since a Lexus SUV doesn't seem to have much more cubic feet of storage than my compact WRX) without so much as an inch to spare, I drove up to NYC on Tuesday (it only takes about 10 and a half hours or so - not too bad) wondering how on earth I would be able to get everything out. Well worry not, because for all of the drama and glorification of the nightmare driving and parking situation in Midtown Manhattan, I got into the city withoiut any traffic to speak of whatsoever and not only that I got a parking spot in front of my apartment. I dont mean on the same street, I mean directly in front of my door, and aside from the pain in the ass that emptying a ridiculously packed car is, the move went as smooth as one could expect. The only snag was when I tried to get into the apartment and couldn't figure out how to unlock the door and since my roommate was in Ann Arbor at the time I had panic visions of me staying in a hotel waiting for someone to let me into the apartment. I called my roommate though and found out you had to push as you turned the key, the doorknob wasn't even part of the equation.

Anyways after a few days of wondering the city (visiting all 5 H&M locations) and checking out my school and plotting where I could eat lunch in SoHo I returned to Michigan, the Great Lakes State. Here are a few of the good and the bad with NYC.

I can count the bad on one hand and they were all things that I was prepared to deal with before the move: I'm pretty much broke so that's not fun, no grass as far as the eye can see, the parks are about as big as my yard was last year and people swear like it's the job. I don't mean a lot either, they swear as though their life depends on it. It gets very old to see people swearing at eachother like 8 year olds, that's why I stopped watching the Real World (ooooo buuuurn). Alcohol is not cheap, their "specials" are what I would refer to in Lansing as "expensive."

The good things: You can still find awesome deals on food and things. There is a Little India with a resturaunt tha is very good called "Curry in a Hurry." Coffee is actually cheaper in the city than here in Lansing. There is a Whole Foods 4 blocks from my apt. I live across from a police station so I'm not too worried about crime. The subway is very easy to use (though not as cheap as I would have thought - $2 per/ride unless you buy a monthly pass), It is never too late at night to do anything. Anyways, I could list a zillion things but I will wait until I find some really cool things and then let you know. Anyways a few more weeks here in Lansing and then back to NYC for good. Here are some pics or the apt...

This is my corner (20th and 8th Ave.) That floor above the resuraunt is my apt.














Here's the living room (the ceiling is almost 20 feet high)

















Kitchen is Bitchin...

















My room...















Yes, I do have a fire escape. This is the view...















Anyways, I know the apt is redonkulous. I will blog again soon. As always, get your feet off the ground and reach for the stars. Go big or go home. Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever.

I'm out

-M, p&z

oh ps - Talladega Nights was hiliarious. Best line - "You better shutup you little potlicker or i'll stick you in a microwave."

No comments: